While I was headed downtown one morning I read that it was National Cheeseburger Day (September 18th)! I figured since I would be around until lunch time would try a new(ish) burger chain in town that’s been getting a ton of hype – Five Guys Burgers and Fries. The servers were friendly, the cooks were loud about calling instructions across the kitchen and orders to the customers. The restaurant seems to be popular with the male demographic, it was probably 80% guys!
What I ate
- 2 patties, double (American processed) cheese, double bacon
- At Five Guys there is a list of ingredients you can add to your burger, I chose to get it “all the way” which meant putting on all the most popular ingredients
- The patties were juicy, the bacon was crispy, and overall it was a really good burger
- The burger was massive! By the end I had a bit of the meat sweats :(
- My least favourite part was that the bun was a bit cold and got pretty soggy
Cajun Fries (small)
- House cut fries with cajun spices
- Fries were a bit soggy, but very creamy, and the cajun spice added a nice flavour without too much extra salt
- Small was plenty big enough, the cup was overflowing and they just throw an extra bunch of fries into your bag
- Near where you pick up your order there are 2 huge bins of peanuts that you can take for while you wait
- Nothing bad can be said about complementary anything!
I would suggest Five Guys for someone wanting a good, simple, burger in downtown, especially if you don’t have time to sit down at a restaurant or wait at a food truck and want to avoid McDonalds or other chains. Definitely a welcome addition to the downtown core!